The challenges for this product were many.
To start, and most importantly, the essence of the product/courseware was three fold: first, the courseware had to encompass three distinctive courses with 7-10 modules each. Secondly, it had to be accessible by user on CD/DVD-ROM. Third, the user’s progress had to be tracked so they could RESUME where they left off once the disc was ejected and reinserted.
Seeing the primary challenges simply written in a few sentences could make one wonder, well, how hard could it have been? If you had a team of proficient guru’s, I’d agree…how hard could it have been? But all of the production, conceptualizing, graphic design, coding, module building, audio recording/editing was ONLY JUST ME…and I’d call that challenging!
Although this is a unique product, it was not without its challenge resolution woes. The actual inclusion of three separate courses in one interface was quite the initial challenge. The product that I used to create the content is Adobe Captivate. Captivate is an amazing tool, however, it is basically used to author a single file. But, it does allow one to AGGREGATE multiple single files into ONE…unfortunately, that didn’t solve my problem…now, if Captivate would allow one to aggregate multiple aggregated files, then I’d be on to something.
Since that wasn’t the case, I had to use Adobe Flash to build my interface; then export my single Captivate files (modules) as SWFs, then use ActionScript on the Flash timeline to LOAD and UNLOAD the modules as per user request. I have a more in-depth explanation as to how I accomplished this solution on my blog at http://edscorner.com/ecblog/2012/04/13/using-flash-as-gui-for-captivate-e-learning-courses/
Outside of all of the product challenges, there were hours of narration…and yes, I used my own home-based recording studio to record a professional narrator. Then, of course, I had to create the snippets for importing on the multitude of slides that made up the many modules.